Friday, May 13, 2011

Reduce Your Scrap Stash with the Color Room


Have you heard of the online scrapbooking community known as the Color Room?  Each week they post a palette of four colors.  Participants create and post projects using that palette.  It's a fun, welcoming community, and creating a project each week is a great way to use up items from your stash.  And using what you already have (instead of buying new) is a great way to reduce your carbon footprint (every little bit helps!).

There are many ways to approach the Color Room challenges.  Here is how I usually do it, but you can find a method that works for you.  First, I gather any supplies I have that fit the color scheme for the week.  Last week the Color Room palette called for dark red and three shades of brown.  I pulled out all my scraps and embellies in those colors, and this is what my table looked like (below).


Once I have pulled the items from my stash, I find that my pages for the Color Room come together pretty quickly.  Having a limited number of items to use really helps speed up the creative process.  In fact, I was able to generate not one but two layouts using these items (plus some white cardstock for the backgrounds).  Here they are (below).


Resources: religious papers: Flair Designs, brown grid paper: BasicGrey, corrugated brown paper: Colorbok, cream paper with white heart: Fancy Pants Designs, white cardstock: Pulp, tan cardstock: Wausau Paper, brown alphabet stickers: Jillibean Soup, both sizes of red alphabet stickers: BasicGrey, chipboard flower: DCWV, thread: DMC, button: vintage.

Are you feeling ready to have a go at a Color Room challenge?  Check out the web site at http://thecolorroom.ning.com.  Each week a new palette is posted on Friday.


Happy crafting! 

No comments: