Saturday, May 28, 2011

Shop Local--It's Fun!


Ah, Memorial weekend!  Across the United States, people are picnicking and barbecuing, children are getting excited for summer, and I...I am wearing a Santa hat and proudly showing off a pack of Christmas paper.  Why?  Because this weekend one of my LSS's is having a "Christmas in May" sale.  It's a bit goofy, but it's fun.  :)

There are so many things to love about local scrapbook stores and local retailers in general.  By shopping at these places (instead of traveling to farther-away stores or using mail-order services), you reduce your carbon footprint and you keep your money in your own community.  Not only that, but local retailers tend to have a more personal touch, which can include fun themed events like "Christmas in May."  

The "Christmas in May" event I attended actually involved two local retailers.  The store at which I shopped is an independently-owned scrapbook store called Scrapbooks Too.  This weekend they gave away October Afternoon "Good Cheer" paper packs to the first 75 customers who spent at least twenty dollars in the store.  Since October Afternoon is also based in the Twin Cities (Minneapolis-Saint Paul area), the deal actually promoted two local businesses.

Wearing Christmas gear was NOT a requirement for getting the free paper pack.  But I was so excited about this event that I decided to dress the part.  See, I have been searching high and low for the "Good Cheer" paper pack all year, but until this weekend I could not find it in stock at any retailer.  So, getting it for free absolutely made my day.

And you know what else made my day recently?  October Afternoon "liked" my "How to Feed a Baby" layout from this post on their public Facebook page!  (I can't link to the exact post on Facebook, but if you feel inclined to scroll down until you find it, the post is dated May 22.  I do realize, though, that I may be the only person who is excited enough about this to actually go through all the work of scrolling to find it, tee-hee!)  I know that this is only a small honor, but since I just started my blog this month, it's a big deal to me.  :)
Thanks for letting me share my good news with you.  Have a great weekend!

No comments: