Saturday, June 4, 2011

Sewing Scraps as Page Embellishments



In a previous post I wrote about using scrapbooking scraps in sewing projects.  Since then, I have been wondering about doing the opposite.  That is, I have been wanting to try turning sewing scraps into page embellishments.  I finally tried it yesterday, and it was a lot of fun.

Here is how it came about.  October Afternoon was having a challenge on their blog to create a layout about food.  I decided to take the challenge, and I picked my wedding cake as the subject of my layout.  Since the cake was decorated with red roses, I knew I wanted to use a lot of red on my page.  I remembered that I had some red embroidery floss left over from a Valentine's Day project, and some red buttons left over from a Christmas project, so I decided to use them on my layout.  I know that using embroidery floss and buttons is not a new concept in scrapbooking, but it is something that I personally do not usually do.  So, this was a good way for me to stretch my creativity.  The resulting page (below) is called "Red Roses."

Supplies: patterned paper (all from October Afternoon), embroidery floss (DMC), red buttons (Blumenthal Lansing), cream buttons (October Afternoon), red cardstock (The Paper Company), white cardstock (American Crafts), faux playing card (October Afternoon), faux ledger paper (October Afternoon), journaling sticker (October Afternoon), die-cutting aparatus (Ellison), red pen (Zig), adhesive (3M and Glue Dots International).


The journaling reads: "Red roses, the symbol of love, were the perfect decoration for our cake."

Since I cannot be sure that buttons meant for sewing projects are acid-free/archival quality, I kept them away from the photos (below).



The same goes for the embroidery floss--I made sure it did not actually touch any photos (below). 



Before I go, here is one more look at the wedding cake itself (below). The photos I used on this layout were all taken with disposable cameras at my wedding reception (as was the norm for weddings in the 1990's), so the quality of the photos is not great.  Still, these pictures mean a lot to me, and I was happy to finally get some of them scrapped.  And now I'm hungry for cake.  :)



Thanks for looking!  Have a great weekend.

No comments: