Thursday, February 2, 2012

Backyard Guest & SFH Feature

I have a bit of catch-up blogging to do.  A couple weeks ago I played along with the October Afternoon blog challenge.  The challenge was to create a layout using a not-so-great photo.  It's unfortunate, but we all have photos that fall into that category.  But sometimes it's worth it to use not-so-great photos on layouts anyway, especially if they are the only documentation you have of an important memory.

Supplies: all papers, die-cuts, buttons, and stickers are from October Afternoon.  The twine is vintage.

I combined the OA challenge with a pretty, springtime Color Room palette to create the layout that you see above.  The journaling reads: "A pair of robins built a nest in our back yard.  We loved seeing them every day.  Spring 2011."  The birds were camera-shy, but I did manage to get one blurry shot of the father robin, which you see on my layout.  I'm not satisfied with the quality of the snapshot, but a few Color Room members who commented on my layout said it was a good photo, so maybe it's better than I think.  Anyway, I'm just happy to have this layout.  The robins moved in around the same time that our last cat, Shadow, passed away, and it was nice to have new animals around--it softened the blow of losing Shadow.

The robins abandoned the nest after their last baby learned to fly, but the nest is still intact in our yard.  I wonder, will new birds take over the nest this spring?  If they do, I'll be sure to let you know!


In other exciting news...when I logged on to Blogger this morning, I was delighted to discover that I'm once again being featured at Scrap for Help!  This is a challenge site that is near and dear to my heart, since it's all about international friendships and creating with recycled materials.  I just want to say thanks so much to the people who voted for my layout, "Road Trip."  You can see a photo of the layout below.  For more information, please see the original post.  



7 comments:

Шумилова Юлия (Варюша) said...

Привет Денис! Была очень рада видеть тебя у себя в блоге! А еще больше рада читать комментарии от тебя))))
Пришла с ответным визитом.
Страничка про птичку мне понравилась. Это будет альбом?
Надеюсь, у тебя не возникнет проблем с переводом этого комментария!!
!

Mônica Pinho - Luzearte Atelier said...

Belo trabalho. Parabéns. Vamos continuar participando.Adoro a proposta do Scrap For Help

Ella Swan said...

Woo Hoo! Congrats on the feature & love the new layout - it's a tough one with those less than perfect photos but you've done a fantastic job of it and I love the blocked style you've gone for there...

Denise Price said...

@ Варюша...
Не волнуйся, я всё поняла. Да, страничка принадлежает к альбому на год 2011. Я каждый год делаю новый альбом.

Хорошего уикэнда!!!

Heather Jacob said...

love your work sooooooooooooo awesome ... great color combos .. hugz x

jeanie g said...

Congrats on your feature again Denise, we seem to be there often of late. lol Love the LO of your little friends. I think you've showcased the photos very well. So sorry to hear about the loss of Shadow. Hope you have some lovely memories of your pet. xx

Patricia said...

what fabulous page.... I love the Nature too.. Adore the page with the bird on the photo ;;; So beautiful!