Friday, September 28, 2012

25 Years...

Back in the day, I was a pretty typical teenager, tight-rolling my jeans, wearing penny loafers without socks, and communing daily with my hairspray and curling iron.  But there was one thing that was a bit unusual...I was also a big science fiction fan. 

On September 28, 1987, the "new" Star Trek show, Star Trek: The Next Generation, premiered, and I fell in love with it.  It's hard to believe that the "new" Star Trek turns twenty-five years old today!  Of course, I had to make a tribute layout. 

Supplies: papers, die cuts, & alphabet stickers by October Afternoon; border stickers by Bella Blvd; ink by Autumn Leaves/Stampology.  Star Trek promotional postcard (c) Paramount Pictures.

The journaling reads: "In 1987 I started junior high.  While my friends idolized Alyssa Milano and Janet Jackson, I had different heroines.  That year marked the premiere of Star Trek: The Next Generation.  I looked up to the Star Trek character Dr. Beverly Crusher and to Gates McFadden, the actress who played her.  Even today they are still role models for me.  Like Dr. Crusher, I balance motherhood and career, and I stand up for what I believe in--though in my case that's environmentalism instead of health care issues.  Like Gates McFadden I'm creative and I speak a second language--though in my case that language is Russian, not French.  And to this day, I still love space stuff--including this cheesy astronaut photo op at the 2012 STA Mardi Gras carnival."


There, I said it: I'm kind of a geek.  :)  But hey, at least I'm a fashionable geek, since I used October Afternoon's new(ish) Cakewalk collection.  This line features a lot of star imagery.  Most papers featuring star imagery tend to have a masculine feel to them, but Cakewalk uses feminine pastel colors instead.


The star die cuts are actually from October Afternoon's 2011 Christmas Line, Holiday Style.  The little "space age" die cut words strip is from OA's Rocket Age line.


As usual, I've mixed a matched colors and styles of OA alphabet stickers.  But I've also mixed and matched OA papers.  The pink journaling card that grounds my title comes from the October Afternoon collection Cherry Hill.  The pattern on it coordinates well with the pattern on the pink die cut star from my previous photo.  October Afternoon makes it so easy to mix and match across collections.  On this page I've used papers from a birthday party collection (Cakewalk), a Christmas collection (Holiday Style), a space age collection (Rocket Age), and a summer collection (Cherry Hill)...and all these different papers work together perfectly for my "feminine geek chic" styled page.  (Hmm, has anyone ever described her style as "feminine geek chic" before?  Well, there's a first time for everything, LOL.)

Happy twenty-fifth birthday, ST:TNG!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Cool page lovely odea to scrap this.
byebye,Lean

Lynette Jacobs said...

This is such an awesome page...and great walk down memory lane.

ANUPAMA CHOUDARY said...

What a fabulous tribute, Denise! Love your photograph. Remember seeing reruns of StarTrek (the one with Spock & Capt.Kirk) in junior school and not understanding a thing...LOL!

LG said...

This page is so much fun. I love how you incorporated 3 photos

Patricia said...

very beautiful page...

Mitralee said...

Dude!!! We are working our way throughVoyager on Netflix with the kids and will prob watch Next Gen after that!!! Love your style!!