Monday, December 10, 2012

Album Decisions

I'm really excited, because I'm almost done with my 2010 family album.  Only five more layouts to scrap, hooray!  You can see the album below--it's in the background of the photo.  There is just one problem...the album is really full.  Bulging, in fact.  And that stack of layouts in the foreground of the photo?  That's what I have already completed for my 2011 album.

Now, having albums full of layouts is not a bad problem to have.  It just means that I'm succeeding in documenting my family's story.  But let me tell you, full 12x12" D-ring albums are heavy and unwieldy!  Something tells me that there has got to be a better solution.




Taking fewer photos or making fewer layouts is not the solution.  Uh-uh.  No way.  Not gonna happen.

So, what I'm thinking is this: I'm going to start making more themed albums.  That way, some of my layouts can go into the themed albums, while many will still go into the family albums.  The first themed album I want to try making is a nature-themed album.


Supplies: teal cardstock by Cosmo Cricket; die cut circle by My Mind's Eye; sunburst patterned paper & diamond patterned paper by Pink Paislee; floral paper, butterfly die cut, buttons, & large alphabet stickers by October Afternoon; banner stickers & border stickers by Doodlebug Design; mini alphabet stickers by Lily Bee; bird sticker by Creative Imaginations; label sticker by Jillibean Soup; chipboard circle by DCWV; thread by Singer.


My family loves visiting parks, nature centers, gardens, and zoos.  So, I think that a nature-themed album is very appropriate for us.  Above you can see "Springtime @ the Zoo," a layout that I've already earmarked for the nature album.  My first nature album will be 12x12", since I already have many nature-themed layouts in that size.  I may make future themed albums in a smaller size, though, just to make them more portable.

Do you make themed albums?  What kinds of themes to you like?  I'm interested in all ideas on this topic.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have!

12 comments:

ANUPAMA CHOUDARY said...

I have stacks of my layouts lying in my closets because they are too bulky to fit into albums. I have posed the question of finding the right album many times and am yet to receive the ideal answer. Maybe I should ask again *Sigh*!

Mitralee said...

I have an album full off just me as a kid and make albums yearly only mine are 6 th months!! Great stack of layouts!!!

Patricia said...

hello.. For my album.s. i make many album for a year.. I have made 100 album next 2004 !! and i make special album for vacation or another themes... Your zoo page is awesome!
hughs

Madeline said...

Great idea for themed albums. Wonderful zoo page!

Lisa Rukin Swift said...

Pretty layout! I have a family album (usually two actually) for each year and then I have the following themed albums: All About Me, Memorial (one for my Dad and his family and one for my Mom and her family), Dance, Artwork, and Scouts).

Kathleen (Kath) B. Hernandez said...

Wonderful! I do make family albums but their kept according to the sequence of which LO was 1st created and not by year. I better think about this. . . lol

Haven't gone to thematic albums though. Keep it going, Denise!

Kathleen
Blog: Creo by Lady Katutz
http://creobyladykatutz.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Well, you're doing better than I am, I have boxes of layouts and stacks of layouts...waiting for albums...hundreds of them..lol!!!

Lynette Jacobs said...

I have a shelf of layouts that need to be put in albums. That is going to be a costly exercise;-)

Lovely nature layout.

Ella Swan said...

Oh we all have that problem! I categorise my albums - I have family, one for each child, my own, and holidays. That helps a bit!!

Ella Swan said...

Oooh that zoo layout is just gorgeous!! I think the album answer is just to file them chronologically and not worry if you get one year or less into one album...

Sandy Ang said...

Congrats on completing your 2010 album and making such wonderful progress on your 2011 one.

jeanie g said...

Hi Denise I have 6 albums on the go at the moment, where I add layouts for each grandchild, one family as is, one family as was, and one holiday. Those are just the albums I'm working in right now plus I have mini handmade albums which I've put into boxes to keep them clean. Your themes sound like fun.
Happy Holiday Season to you.x