Friday, August 30, 2013

Lily Bee 8/6 Sketch Challenge

The other day I was looking at the papers from my Lily Bee Pinwheel collection, and I noticed an orange dotted paper next to an orange herringbone paper.  The two orange patterns looked so striking next to each other, I knew I wanted to use them together in a layout.  The page below, entitled "Details," is the result of that desire to pair orange with even more orange.  I also added some pops of blue for contrast, and to match my son's blue shirt.

Supplies: all paper & stickers by Lily Bee; pen by Zig.

I used the sketch below, which is the Lily Bee August challenge sketch.


I like to put a lot of journaling on my pages, and sometimes I struggle to find room for it.  So, I was happy to see a big stretch of white space on this sketch.  I used that space for my journaling.


The journaling (which is easier to read in real life than it is in the photo) says: "It's amazing how the simplest things can be the most fun!  This Children's Museum exhibit was made up of just magnets, washers, and nuts.  We played with it about twenty minutes, and we would have played longer if we'd had the opportunity.  We made towers, bridges, tunnels, etc.  It was so fun seeing how much we could stick together before the magnets gave way.  Maybe I should get this stuff for our house.  :)"  It probably wouldn't be as fun, though, if we could play with magnets and hardware everyday.  The novelty of this exhibit is what made it really fun.  Still, it could be a good rainy day activity to do at home...


I followed the sketch pretty loyally except for the four big circles.  I already had a lot of circles on my page, what with the polka dotted paper and the washers and nuts in the photos.  Adding even more circles would have overwhelmed the page.  So, I replaced the row of circles with a row of photos, which carries about the same visual weight.


It was fun putting together little elements to make embellishment clusters.  Everything on this page, with the exception of my pen, is from the Lily Bee Pinwheel collection.  Thanks for stopping by my blog today to check this page out!

7 comments:

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Awesome layout!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Denise, I love this. Seems we both found joy in simple pleasures today. Nuts, washers, and magnets for you and your son, a box for Bleubeard. I loved the spread, because I also like a bit of blue with orange. This is really marvelous and a great way to remember a special, albeit, simple pleasures day.

Patricia said...

a beautiful page for a gorgeous sketch

Sharon Fritchman said...

Oooooh Denise! I love how the 2 orange patterned papers look together on your layout. It is fun to hear how you got your inspiration for this! And I love what you did with the sketch and your photos! your layout is awesome!

fairyrocks said...

Love how you did this Denise, Orange and especially a pattern I would stay away from. Thanks for showing how fantastic it can look. Now you've got me thinking....Thanks for the inspiration.

Camila Borssoi said...

Nice layout, male and fun.

Lisa Rukin Swift said...

Wonderful page, Denise!