Tuesday, December 10, 2013

T is for Ten on the Tenth

Hi, everyone!  Happy T Day!  I've missed Elizabeth and Bleubeard's last couple of T Days, due to holiday busy-ness, but I think I'll make up for it with today's big post.


Over the course of 2013, my creative focus has been on de-stashing.  I challenged myself to make ten projects using stash items from different categories each month.  This month's category is "everything else," meaning not just paper brands that I haven't covered yet, but also other craft supplies.
 
Project 1: cardstock from Neenah Paper; red plaid paper, green plaid paper, & gingerbread plaid paper from Provo Craft; Bingo card from Simple Stories; gingerbread circle tag from Crate; tape from We Call Her Happydaks; faux brads from Craftwork; corner punch from Creative Memories.

Many of my "everything else" papers come from paper pads.  The one pictured above is from Provo Craft (do they even make paper any more???), and it might be the oldest paper in my stash.  I used it to make a big, square Christmas card.
 
Project 2: dotted cardstock from Jillibean Soup; all patterned paper from Fancy Pants; colored alphabet stickers, tab, & label from October Afternoon; green phrase sticker from Bella Blvd; blue phrase sticker & chevron border sticker from Bo Buny; black/white alphabet stickers from Doodlebug; pens from Zig.

Next I used a mini paper pad from Fancy Pants for a sports camp page.  I even cut out little icons from some of the papers to make my embellishments.  I also used the white backs of some of the papers to make photo mats.
 
Project 3: previously blogged here.

I used the Crate "Pretty Party" paper pad (say that ten times fast!), plus some additional Crate scraps, to make the above wall art.

 
Project 4: previously blogged here.

I couldn't let mini papers get all the attention; the layout above was made with 12x12" papers from a variety of manufacturers, including Elle's Studio, KaiserCraft, Simple Stories, and Little Yellow Bicycle.
 
Projects 5 & 6: felt & ribbon scraps from my stash; thread from DMC; double-stick tape release paper; clay buttons from Clay Squared to Infinity.

Next it was time to shift gears and use some of my non-paper supplies.  I made the two homespun ornaments shown above as St. Nicholas Day gifts for my son (a shark lover) and husband (a fan of pirates).  The ornaments are stuffed with little rolls of release paper from double-stick tape--recycling at its finest.  :)
 
Project 7: chipboard album page from October Afternoon; magazine scraps from Doctor Who Magazine; gel medium, glitter, & assorted paints; sticker negatives from Heidi Grace Designs; tape from We Call Her Happydaks; assorted beads & fibers from my stash.

I recycled pages from old magazines, a non-traditional scrapbooking supply, to make the altered album cover shown above.  This is the back cover for my Dr. Who mini album, so I painted it in shades of "alien green."  :)  I also created "Dalek bump" texture here and there on the page by stenciling with thick paint and glitter through the negative piece of a circular alphabet sticker set.


Last, but not least, I wanted to create projects that used items from three little plastic bins that I keep on a shelf near my desk.  The photo above shows these bins: a bin for tiny paper scraps (on the left), a bin for beads and other small embellishments (on the right), and a bin for ribbon/trim/fibers (in the back). 
 
Project 8: previously blogged here.

I used paper scraps from the first bin to create the layout above.
 
Project 9: nylon-coated beading wire; assorted beads & findings.

I used items from my bead bin to create a bracelet, which was adapted from a design in the February, 2013, issue of Crafts n' Things magazine.
 
Project 10: ribbon, trim, & flowers from We Call Her Happydaks; papers from Provo Craft; ribbon slide from Trinket Foundry; die cuts from October Afternoon; watercolor paint from Angora; acrylic paint from Ranger; household stapler; recycled business reply card.

Last but not least, I created this mini album page using items from my ribbon/trim/fibers bin.  I also used papers from the Christmas paper pad I showed at the beginning of this post, bringing things full circle.

It's been fun for me to challenge myself to use up some of my stash this year.  I have a slightly different idea for "10 on the 10th" projects for 2014, so stay tuned!  Thanks for visiting my blog today.

20 comments:

Dianne said...

Wait...what? Dr. Who has a magazine?! awesome...I always love your scrapbook pages. terrific soccer page, and of course I also adore the combination of blue and red. Beautiful collage too...happy T day!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Seems there are a bunch of us Dr. Who fans around.

I'm always impressed when you use (and highlight) recycled items. It's also fun to see your scrapbook pages and your journal cover. What a fun treat.

Thanks for posting these 10 on the 10th ideas. I am always inspired by them. And thanks for joining T today, too. I've missed you.

~*~Patty S said...

The tenth YES!
Brilliant reuse and recycling!
I salute you for your destashing commitment and accomplishments!

Happy T day t you
oxo

Linda Jo said...

This is great! I've been trying to de-stash for quite awhile now....it's a slow process! ha! But I seldom buy any new supplies now...so that's a huge step forward! You are inspiring me!!!

dawn said...

WOW!! I'm soooo impressed with what you did with your stash, awesome projects!! This sounds like a great idea for me and my stash, might have to add this to my list for 2014.
I LOVED seeing all these and can't pick a favorite, each one is special and creative!
Can't wait to see what you do next year, how can you top this year???
Happy T Day, thanks for sharing and visiting!

Linda Kunsman said...

Happy T day! What a great collection of creative projects!! I too have Provo craft papers-don't know whether or not they still make them either :)

Krisha said...

What wonderful projects, and a great idea too. I have soooo much stash, as everyone else does, that I need to stay away from any kind of craft store until I have at least cut it half. That should be about 5 years....oh no, I don't want any stores to close because I'm not there......LOL
Love the way your recycle so many things.
Happy T-day

Craftymoose Crafts said...

You are the Queen of recycling! I am embarrassed to tell you how many "bins" I have to pick from after my recent re organization! But I am going to get on it! Happy T Day!

Unknown said...

Wow you have been busy I want to start using up some of my old stash too! when i moved into my craftroom and having to carry it all upstairs I was like I have far too much paper!! lol Great projects tho Denise well done!

Halle said...

Awesome job destashing! I attacked a pad of Christmas paper just last week. I decided to make pillow boxes from the papers I figured I'd never use. Hmmm...I suppose I should show those on my blog. Duh...that's my 2nd blonde moment of the day. Geesh.

Ariel said...

All your art works are so pretty.Those bracelets are awesome.Love the chipboard album too.
Susan

Patricia said...

what a work :all is perfect.. fabulous !

Mary Jo said...

These are all so impressive and inspiring! I think it's great the way you recycle in your scrapbooking!

Angi Barrs said...

Fabulous projects!

Patricia Roebuck said...

You have been super busy! Great projects!!

Unknown said...

You have been busy so many cool work.with lots of creative idea's.
byebye,lean

Rita said...

Great recycling and destashing projects!
Happy belated T-Day! :)

Sharon Fritchman said...

I love all 10 of your projects! You always amaze me with your creativity and how you used recycled items, too. I also want to wish you and your family a very Merry Christmas!

Lynette Jacobs said...

You are my biggest inspiration when it comes to destashing. I succeeded to an extent to make a dent in my stash. Maybe I will need another year of no buying.

Lisa Rukin Swift said...

You do so many different styles so well, Denise. This is a fabulous collection of work! Can't wait to see what you have in mind for 2014. :)