Saturday, January 25, 2014

Snowman Card (Cupcake Inspirations & Scrap Africa)

ETA: This card made the "Sweet Six" (top six) at Cupcake Inspirations!


I've come to the conclusion that I'm a very food-inspired crafter.  Who knew that there even was such a thing!  But it's true.  Almost every Tuesday I join in with Elizabeth's T-Tuesday virtual tea party.  And now I'm getting into the weekly challenges on Cupcake Inspirations.  I made this card...

Supplies: lined journaling card from KaiserCraft; spray mist & upcycled packaging from October Afternoon; all other paper from American Crafts; stamping ink from Hero Arts; stamp from Stampin' Up; snowflake pendant repurposed as mask; corner punch from Creative Memories; tape from 3M/Scotch; burlap cloth from Canvas Corp.; sewing thread from Singer; embroidery floss from DMC; colored pencils from Empire; assorted sequins from my stash.

...inspired by this week's challenge image.  Are those snowman cupackes cute, or are they cute?!  :)


I'm also entering my card in the current challenge at Scrap Africa.  This time around their challenge is to use a recycled item.  That's my favorite thing to do!  (Hence my blog name...Green Crafting.)

I cut the white layer for my card from this piece of packaging material.

Instead of cutting into a full sheet of 12x12" white cardstock, I cut the white layer for my card from an old piece of October Afternoon product packaging.  This is a trick I use pretty often in my crafting.


Here are a couple detail shots of my card.  Above, you see the snowman.  I stamped him three times (black ink on blue paper, green ink on blue paper, and black ink on white paper) and pieced together cuttings from the various stampings.  I added pops of color with pencils.


To further suggest snow, I misted a snowflake background and stitched on an assortment of sequin "snow."

Snow is something we've been having a lot of lately here in Minnesota.  It seems like when it's not snowing, the temperatures are dangerously cold (windchills approaching -40 degrees, which is the same temperature in both Fahrenheit and Celcius).  Finally today we are having a day that is both dry and not too cold, and I intend to get out and enjoy it a bit this afternoon...before it snows again tomorrow!  Hope that you're having a good weekend, too!

14 comments:

Mayras Designs said...

What a sweet and very cute card !!! Thank you so much for sharing with us at Cupcake Inspirations !

Mayra DTM

Halle said...

Love the card! love all the recycling you did.
School just got canceled for tomorrow for my kiddos. Dang arctic blast.

Billie-Jean Beveridge said...

Fantastic card and i am so glad the challenge was right up your alley:) As for the food inspiration, i guess we all get inspired by something and food is a wonderful thing on its own. Thanks for playing with us at Scrap Africa :)

Svetlana Austin said...

love your fun happy winter card!
I really can't imagine how people live in such temperatures! yes I know, I grew up in Russia but I am already so used to this life without winter and snow that now I can't imagine how I lived before :-)
stay warm!

Val-Belle said...

Such a cool idea.... I need to visit more often. I keep stuff to re-cycle but then I can't find it or I forgot what I kept it for... This is such a cute card and I love the snowflake misting. Such fun happy colours. Thanks for playing along with us at Scrap Africa :D

Rene Sharp said...

It's SO wonderful to have had your support of our challenge at SCRAP AFRICA. LOVE your work!! Smiles, Rene'

Denise van Deventer said...

Great card Denise, and so pleased that you played along, as this is definitely your kinda project! Love the colouring and the sweet elements...definitely very cool! Thanks so much for playing along with our recycling challenge at Scrap Africa! ;-)

Mary Jo said...

that is such a cute card!
And I can definitely see how you were inspired :)

It has been an insanely cold and snowy winter for us, too. Though nothing like up there. But for us, it has been a lot.
Although yesterday it was in the 50's and now today back in the teens!

Angi Barrs said...

Adorable. Love the sequins!

Unknown said...

Cool card cute snowman!
byebye,Lean

Dani Cristina said...

Fantastic result,great idea for recycling!!

Erica said...

Oh how cute!! I love the snowman. And, those sequins really add some sparkle! Thanks for playing along with us at Scrap Africa!

Helen Wallace said...

Gotta love that packing recycling...good for the planet and the hip pocket....love your cute card. Keep warm....Thanks for joining us as Scrap Africa :)

Sharon Fritchman said...

Such an absolutely adorable card! I love your snowman so much! thanks for sharing it with all of us, Denise!