Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Sunshine & Blue Skies


Hi!  I'm glad you could join me for my latest "T-Day" post, which I'll be linking up with Elizabeth and Bleubeard for T on Tuesday.  After my last post, in which I shared some of the beaded jewelry that I've made, I felt inspired to get my beads out again and make something new.  Since we had lots of sunny weather last week, I made a necklace that I call "Sunshine and Blue Skies."


Unlike last week, I do not have "soda pop beads" in this necklace.  Instead, this time I have a mix of beads from a variety of sources (too many to list).  The twisty yellow focal beads are Czech glass beads--some of my favorite ever beads.


This necklace opens and closes with a magnetic clasp, which is something new for me.  Adding the clasp to the necklace was a bit of a challenge, because it kept sticking to my pliers as I tried to crimp the crimp beads.  I finally prevailed, though.  I chose the magnetic clasp because the arthritis in my hands is getting a little worse, and it's getting harder for me to open and close regular clasps.  The magnetic clasp is working really well so far: it stays closed when I wear the necklace, yet it opens easily when I pull the two halves apart.


I've been having lots of iced drinks (water, juice, Gatorade, etc.) over the last few days, since the weather has been hot.  But today my glass is serving as a makeshift vase for a sprig of lily of the valley.  This is my favorite flower, and I'm so excited that it's finally blooming again here.  As you can probably tell, I am very happy that warmer days have come to Minnesota at last.  :)


Enjoy your day, and feel free to drop by Elizabeth and Bleubeard's blog if you'd like to see more arsty/beverage-related posts.

11 comments:

IrinaR (Irina Rakovets) said...

Hi Denise! Beads are perfectly combined with a T-shirt! Wow! you lilies bloom? I also love them. We only lilac flowered cherries fades, but the flavor is still holding.
And today is a very colder, after several days of 30 g. heat, today only 7.

Chrysalis said...

Hi Denise - the necklace is so lovely and summery - and I like the idea of magnetic fastenings. I've had to stop wearing earrings with backs, as I don't have much feeling in my finger tips these days - very frustrating for crafting! Your photo is great - you have such a smiley face! Remember not to drink out of your cup at the moment!! Chris x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was born with a rare form of arthritis, and I've had one of those clasps on a bracelet. It was SUPER easy to attach it to my arm, something I can never do with a clasp where I have to thread a ring through it. I know you will love this. BTW, I love those swirly yellow beads, too.

I used to have a few lilies of the valley in my yard, but they got pushed out by vinca vines, which have really taken over. Lily of the Valley is one of my favorites, too. But if mine had lived, they would be long gone by now, just like my jonquils, tulips, irises, and peonies. It's really hot here, now. Glad you are enjoying your more temperate weather.

Thanks for sharing this beautiful necklace and floral display for T this week.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Just read your comment on my blog. I think we "met" on SOC. Yep, I'll look for you.

Hettie said...

Liking your necklace Denise. Very pretty. Love your lily of the valley too. I must check to see if mine has come out yet...only leaves last time I looked.
Hugs
xx

Krisha said...

What a very pretty picture of you, and your necklace. That is the type I would definitely wear and I love the name.

Lilies of the valley do fare well here, too darn hot.......:(

Happy T-day

~*~Patty S said...

Lovely necklace
and I bet you can smell the great fragrance of even one Lily of the Valley...such a pretty flower!
Hope you had a happy T day
oxo

Nancy said...

Pretty necklace Denise, I love those yellow glass beads--stunning.
I love Lily of the Valley scent :) mine are all leaves yet, but won't be long!
Hope your T day was lovely :)

Lynette Jacobs said...

That is a very pretty photo of you. I love your beads...so pretty.

Divers and Sundry said...

i love the colors in your necklace. :) that magnetic clasp is pure genius!

Darla said...

Nice to see you Denise. I like the colors of the necklace and your name for it is perfect. Never tried anything with a magnetic clasp but it looks and sounds quite convenient.

Darla