Monday, June 23, 2014

A-Z of Me: Kind of Domestic

Hi there!  I enjoy reading Lynette Jacobs's blog, and her recent "A-Z of Me" post inspired me to make one of my own.  I hope it will help you get to know me a bit better.  Here goes...

A is for apple crisp, which my my wonderful husband bakes every Friday night.  It's our special treat.


B is for baking, a hobby that our whole family enjoys.  Recently my son and I baked these chocolate mint cookies.

C is for cats.  I am a cat person.


D is for dyeing.  I went to a tie-dyeing party recently and decorated onesies to use in the future as baby gifts.

E is for England, the country I dream of visiting someday.


F is for fleece, which I recently used to make a fringed pillow cover.  I have been kind of domestic lately, what with the baking and the dyeing and the pillow covering.

G is for The Grapes of Wrath.  This is the last book I read.


H is for hair.  I like trying new ways to style my long hair.

I is for ice cream.  Lately I've been beating the heat by eating vanilla ice cream topped with honey, almonds, and shredded coconut.

J is for Jane Eyre, a book I could read over and over again.

K is for Kung Fu.  My husband is a second degree black belt and our son is a purple belt.  I just watch.  :)

L is for Libraries.  Visiting libraries is like heaven to me, because I love books so much!

M is for Moscow Stories by Loren Graham.  I'm reading this book right now.
N is for Novosibirsk, the Russian city where I was an exchange student in high school.
O is for the Ob' River, which flows through Novosibirsk.
P is for Poetry.  I used to write poetry and short fiction, and I'm thinking about taking up creative writing once more.
Q is for quiet.  I prefer peace and quiet over noise and zaniness. 
R is for red, my favorite color. 
S is for Saint Petersburg, the Russian city where I was an exchange student in college (university).





T is for tea.  Happy T Day!  Today I tried another layered beverage.  With rose hip-hibiscus herbal tea on top and lemonade on the bottom, the layering in this iced drink is more subtle than my in my last one.  It's delicious, though!  I like it much better than the cranberry juice/Gatorade combo.  For more beverage related posts, click over to the Altered Book Lover blog.
U is for Ulnar Drift, an arthritic condition that affects my left hand.  I am right-handed, so it doesn't affect me too much, but it is starting to make beading and embroidery harder for me. 
V is for The Vicar of Dibley, the British comedy that can always cheer me up when I'm feeling down.
W is for Wilna Furstenberg.  I love watching her artsy scrapbooking videos on YouTube.  She has a great sense of humor, too.
X is for eXercise.  Almost every day I do 30 minutes of fast walking, plus assorted stretches. 
Y for Yellow.  My dream car is a convertible yellow Volkswagen Beetle.  Maybe someday...
Z is for zoo.  I love visiting zoos and photographing the animals.  These photos usually make for fun scrapbook pages.
 
I hope you found my A-Z list interesting.  Maybe you discovered something that you and I have in common.  If so, I'd love to hear about it!

17 comments:

Mary Jo said...

This is such a great list!!
I haven't done a list in several weeks for my List With Friends group, and I think this would be fun to do.
And Jane Eyre is my all time favorite book :)

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

I've read Lynette's A-Z and now yours, how fun, I might join in if I find time! Thanks for sharing!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Now I know (or at least suspect) your connection to Russia. I had no idea you were an exchange student. It's sad what is happening there, now, but I'm sure your memories are much happier.

Bleubeard is thrilled that you are a cat person. So am I.

Yep, we have dyeing fabric in common. I haven't seen a fabric I wasn't willing to create some surface technique on. Of course, I don't wash my fabric after I dye it, since I make art quilts that hang on the wall, but that allows me more freedom to experiment with different ways to dye my fabric. LOVE those onesies. And it never hurts to have them ready for gift giving, either.

Of course, I like the sound and look of your drink. Although it may be more subtle looking, it sounds better than Gatorade any day.

We both also have really unique arthritic conditions, too. Mine is a birth defect. I totally understand how difficult it can be to work around certain situations when it comes to your condition (hand).

Had to laugh at the fact you like quiet, yet red screams loud. What a contradiction (grin). I noticed you use red a lot in your scrapbooking too.

Thanks for sharing all these A to Z memories AND your lovely layered tea blend for T this Tuesday.

Bridget Larsen said...

What an interesting post, love it all and so clever of you
Bridget #1

~*~Patty S said...

WOW that must have been a lot of work and thinking to pull all that together...looks like you had fun!
Happy T Day to you
oxo

Lynette Jacobs said...

I loved reading the A-Z of you...thank you for playing along.

Divers and Sundry said...

An entire alphabet! That's a fun get-to-know-you post. I like the idea of a fleece pillow cover. Sounds cozy.

Ariel said...

This is wonderful Denise, Maybe I should do one like this-:)
Libraries are my favorite places too
Happy Tuesday
Susan

Unknown said...

What a fun post! We have a few letters in common - no wonder we're friends :) Your tie dye onsies turned out super! How did the boys shirts turn out?

Krisha said...

What a wonderful A-Z post, it was fun to read it.

Happy T-day

Darla said...

What a fun post and a way to get to know you a bit better. The drink is very pretty.

Darla

Robyn said...

Your post is Amazing and Zing=y!
fun!

Halle said...

Love the list!! I'm not sure I could come up with and A-Z.

Craftymoose Crafts said...

First, I want to say I love how you styled your hair in that photo!

I've been to St.Petersburg, love books and libraries where I could browse for hours, and also love to bake.

It was fun getting to know you a little better!

Nancy said...

Yes, we have a few things in common :) what a fun and interesting list!
Your drink reminds me of a Shirley Temple.
Happy T Tuesday :)

dawn said...

Denise, this was so fun to read! I love these kind of posts and might try it too.

Your red drink sounds yummy, it's the second red drink I've seen today, did I miss a memo, lol

We do have libraries in common.

Thanks so much for sharing more about yourself! Happy T Day!

Denise van Deventer said...

Looooove your A-Z Denise....very cool and super fun! ;-)